June 13, 2013

Turning into a Vegetarian & Spicy Tomato Sauce with Spaghetti

I have started to eat cheese after being without it for three years. I don’t know why but I just suddenly did. At times I feel bad about it and I feel like I should stop it again but I haven’t yet... So my veganism is on hold right now. I’m lacto-vegetarian right now. I don’t drink milk or eat yoghurt but I do eat cheese right now. It’s the only thing which I craved while being a vegan so that was my downfall. I did eat soy cheese but that didn’t feel like enough at times. I do think about the animals and the mass production of milk products and maybe this is just a phase.

Today we made tomato-mozzarella salad with fresh basil for a starter. I had never eaten it before. And I have to say that mozzarella tasted pretty good after many years.



Then I made Spicy Tomato Sauce with Spaghetti.


Spicy Tomato Sauce with Spaghetti

Ingredients:
1/2 onion
1 tablespoon
extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 red bell pepper
2 medium sized mushrooms
1 c
an (500 g) crushed tomatoes
10 tiny tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1,5 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder or salt
5 leaves of fresh basil

Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Cook the onion in the oil until translucent.
2. Add chopped mushrooms and cook until the liquid coming from the mushrooms is evaporated. Add chopped red bell pepper and stir for a while.
3. Add the canned crushed tomatoes. Slice tiny tomatoes in half and add to the sauce.
4. Add spices and let the sauce simmer in low heat for 5-10 minutes. Lastly add minced basil leaves and stir for a few minutes.
5. Cook the spaghetti and drain. Serve the sauce over the spaghetti or mix it all together. If you like, you can top the dish with cheese.
If you leave the cheese out the dish is vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flag Counter